In the reporting year, the staff of the Institute of Electrodynamics of the NAS of Ukraine focused their efforts on a further development of fundamental and applied research in the field of physical and technical problems of power engineering in the areas approved by the Resolution of the Presidium of the NAS of Ukraine №67 as of 28.03.2012.
Based on the results of the performance efficiency of the Institute of Electrodynamics of the NAS of Ukraine for the past five years (the Resolution of the NAS of Ukraine № 169 as of 12.06.2019), the Institute and its 11 scientific departments were assigned to “A” category. In 2020, according to the results of the attestation carried out by the Expert Commission for the state certification of scientific institutions of the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine (decision № 5 as of November 19, 2020), the Institute was assigned to the I qualification group.
As of January 1, 2021, at the 11 scientific departments of the Institute work 47 Doctors of Sciences (incl. 3 women), including 3 Academicians of the NAS of Ukraine and 7 Corresponding Members of the NAS of Ukraine, as well as 73 Candidates of Sciences (incl. 11 women). The number of scientific researchers is 174 people, including 6 chief scientific researchers, 22 leading scientific researchers, 57 senior scientific researchers, 8 scientific researchers, and 11 junior scientific researchers.
As of December 31, 2020, a total number of the Institute employees is 345 people, including 129 women.
During the past year, 3 dissertations were defended for the degree of the Doctor of Sciences and 1 – for the degree of the Candidate of Engineering Sciences.
There are 13 postgraduate students in the postgraduate school studying part-time. 1 postgraduate student graduated, and 1 was expelled due to the departure abroad to participate in a research project. In 2020 4 students were enrolled in the postgraduate school.
During the last year, at the Institute 8 young specialists were hired, 1 of them is a postgraduate student. 3 young specialists with higher education were fired.
12 students underwent the pre-graduation practice at the Institute, and 2 – work experience internship.
In 2020, the researches on 64 topics were conducted at the Institute. Among them there were 34 on departmental topics, 24 on program-target and competitive themestopics, and 6 on contractual topics. Departmental, program-target and competitive works were financed from the general fund, among which 29 tasks were for fundamental and 5 for applied researches.
Among those 34 works on departmental topics, 4 were performed within the framework of the Target research program of the Department of physical and technical problems of energy of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine “Fundamental research of energy transformation and usage processes”.
The works of program-target and competitive topics contain:
– 3 tasks of the target research program of the NAS of Ukraine “Reliability and durability of materials, structures, equipment and installations” (Resource-2) for 2016-2020;
– 2 tasks of the target research program of the NAS of Ukraine “Semiconductor materials, technologies and sensors for technical systems of diagnostics, control and management” for 2018-2020;
– 2 tasks of the target complex program of applied research of the NAS of Ukraine “Smart” sensor devices of a new generation based on modern materials and technologies “for 2018-2022;
– 1 task of the target research program of the NAS of Ukraine “Nuclear and radiation technologies for the energy sector and social needs” for 2019-2023;
– 11 tasks of the target research program of the NAS of Ukraine “Intelligent environmentally safe energy with traditional and renewable energy sources” (“New energy”) for 2019-2021;
– 1 research work for young scientists of the NAS of Ukraine for 2019–2020;
– 1 grant of the NAS of Ukraine to the research laboratories / groups of young scientists of the NAS of Ukraine for conducting research in priority areas of the science and technology development for 2020-2021;
– 1 work from the program of “Support of the state-of-the-art scientific research and scientific and technical (experimental) developments of the Department of physical and technical problems of energy of the NAS of Ukraine”;
– 1 scientific and technical project of the institutions of the NAS of Ukraine in 2020;
– 1 work on the target interdisciplinary project of the NAS of Ukraine “Scientific, technical, and economic and ecological foundations of a low-carbon development of Ukraine”.
In 2020, the study has been successfully completed on 5 departmental topics. The research results were discussed and approved at the meetings of the Academic Council.
In addition, the works were also carried out within the framework of 7 economic agreements, 6 of which were completed this year.
In 2020, the scientists of the Institute prepared for publication 8 monographs (142.74 published sheets), 3 collections of scientific works (36.7 published sheets), one brochure (3.18 published sheets), and 6 issues of the “Technical Electrodynamics” (“Tekhnichna Elektrodynamika“) journal. The journal is included in the List of scientific professional publications of Ukraine in technical sciences in the highest “A” category. All materials of the issues of “Technical Electrodynamics” can be found at www.techned.org.ua. The electronic edition of the journal is developed on the modern OJS platform and stored in the National Library of Ukraine named after V.I. Vernadsky. The journal is included in the OPEN UKRAINIAN CITATION INDEX database and international databases, such as SCOPUS, COMPENDEX, ELIBRARY, EBSCO, PROQUEST, and CROSSREF. In 2020, 3 collections of the “Works of the Institute of Electrodynamics of the NAS of Ukraine” were published. All materials of the collection can be found at www.ied.org.ua. The collection is included in the List of scientific professional publications of Ukraine with category “B”. It is referenced in the abstract journal “Dzherelo” (“Source”), in the national depository “Scientific periodicals of Ukraine”, and in the electronic library NASPLIB.
During 2020, the scientists of the Institute published 71 articles in domestic and 10 in foreign publications, 76 of which were published in the professional journals that are included in the international databases; and 48 abstracts at the conferences. 124 articles were published in the collections and the journal of the Institute of Electrodynamics of the NAS of Ukraine. The employees of the Institute are the authors of 76 of them.
In 2020, together with NTUU “KPI named after Igor Sikorsky”, the Institute was a co-organizer of the XV International scientific and technical conference “Problems of modern electrical engineering – 2020”, which took place in Kyiv on June 8-12, 2020. Together with the IEEE Ukraine the Institute was a co-organizer of the VII International conference on SMART ENERGY SYSTEMS (2020 IEEE ESS), which also took place in Kyiv on May 12-14, 2020. Together with NTUU “KPI named after Igor Sikorsky”, the Institute held the V International scientific and technical conference “Smart-technologies in energy and electronics – 2020” (Lazurne, Skadovsk district, Kherson region, Ukraine August 17-22, 2020), and, together with Kremenchuk Mykhaylo Ostrogradsky National University, held the IEEE International conference “Problems of automated electric drive. Theory and practice.” (PAED’2020) (Kremenchuk, September 21-25, 2020).
Last year, the scientific and technical achievements of the Institute were presented at 3 international exhibitions: Smart Building, elcomUkraine, and “Energy in the manufacturing”.